Working with those touched by adoption, fostering, and complex blended families is both a passion and expertise for Patti. Professionals may choose to consult on clinical cases, mentoring or training opportunities. Individuals or couples may want to consult on topics related to family building, adoption, and parenting.
Patti is available for specialized consultation about fostering, adoption, and complex blended families, which may include:
- Am I ready to adopt? What kind of adoption do I wish to pursue? How do I get started?
- What to know about adopting a child from the foster care system, domestic adoption, international adoption, parenting trans-racially, single parent adoption, or same sex couples adoption.
- Referrals for adoptions a competent therapist, book suggestions and connections to national organizations.
- All aspects of open adoptions: Getting started; confronting fears; why do it; problems that may arise; present problems in an open adoption relationship. How to talk to children about adoption at different stages of their development. How to prepare children in the family for an adoption. Search and reunion questions and resources.
- Treatment facilities for children; a big decision for families. Know what to look for and ask.
- Parenting children not genetically related whether from assisted reproductive technology, foster care, adoption, or other blended families.
patti huber, lcsw
licensed clinical social worker • lcs 21064